Thursday, October 4, 2012

Something You Would Like To Learn To DO




Hi Blogheads,

One of my favourite pastimes is making music. I taught myself to play guitar when I was about 14 years old and started writing songs straight away. In fact, my first song had only 2 chords (Em7 and C). Initially, I wanted to play saxophone (just because David Bowie did) but they didn't have any at my school so I started taking clarinet lessons. Unfortunately I never made much progress. It was difficult to practice at home. I have 8 brothers and sisters and they used to tease me or complain about the awful noise I was making. So, I swapped the clarinet for the guitar. I don't think I'm a very good guitarist. I use the guitar to write songs. I'm fairly steady when it comes to rhythm but I never had the dedication needed to play like Jimi Hendrix. Later I started to play keyboard and I taught myself a couple of things on the piano. However, I'd still like to learn the sax. I think my favourite sax pieces are "Soul Serenade" by King Curtis and "Clair de Lune" played by Phil Woods. I`d don't think I'd find it difficult to learn the basics but it would be difficult to play how I`d like to play. I think I'd be able to free my soul by playing sax and that would be wonderful.

Write about something you would like to learn to do.

Say:

What it is,

Why you would like to learn it,

Whether it would be difficult or not,

How it would make you feel.

Mention anything else you thing is interesting. Write at least 250 words. Leave a comment on my blog and on the blogs of 3 classmates.

 

16 comments:

  1. I love King Curtis. I kind of get your feeling.

    I thought it was funny that you wanted to play the sax just because Bowie did, but we all have a similar feeling about some other famous artist anyway.

    I hope you get to learn how to play it someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was Bowie mad as a teenager. I want to buy a sax but they are expensive in Chile (and not very good quality). The one I'd like to get costS 1,000 lucas here or 400 lucas in the States. Bah!

      Delete
  2. I like the saxophone and also like the music of David Bowie. I´m not really good playing musical instruments, I learn to play flute in my school, but i don´t like it very much.
    Good luck with the Sax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taught my nephew to say David Bowie when he was a baby. I think he said Bowie before he said mum & Dad:)

      Delete
  3. It's great to learn an instrument, is a unique way of expresion. I've always had loved the sound of sax on music in general.
    Cool photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the photo. One of my ex-girlfriends gave me a framed copy of this photo. It's currently at a friend's house in London (sob!).

      Delete
  4. I wrote about learning guitar, but really... seems too difficult!! since i'm not into music i can't understand how you do it, is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just need to find your instrument. Maybe you're a drummer!

      Delete
  5. What kind of music do you prefare to play?
    And with such a big family you might have your own rock band or a small symphonic... Is you family interested in music as well? I remember one of your borthers makes violins,doesn´t he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. We never knew whether to start a football team or an orchestra. Good memory! I have a brother who plays violin & guitar, plus another brother and a sister who both play guitar. My oldest nephew (he's 40) is a drum teacher and plays in a band called John E Vistic Experience. They released their first cd this year.

      Delete
  6. David Bowie is a true artist. I would have loved to meet him back in the sixties.

    Maybe we could share some original songs one day.

    (professor, I have been sick, and I'm working from home)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good. What instrument do you use for song writing?
      ps. Get well soon.

      Delete
    2. I use mostly guitar, but sometimes I use piano and ukulele.
      The songs, depending on which instrument did you composed it with,can be very very different, so I think I have developed a very eclectic style haha!

      Delete
  7. Guitar and piano are powerful instrument. I like to play both. Jimi Hendrix was a good musician.

    I think: "the practice makes master"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Playing an instrument is also for me something that I would like to learn, but I have to be honest to myself... I don't have the skills. Hope you can learn to play sax someday, it's a really beautiful instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry Simon, I was in a field trip from thursday to monday, so I couldn't do my blog before... I hope you understand :)

    ReplyDelete