Thursday, October 18, 2012

A Concert, Exhibition or Show

I guess I’ve been lucky when it comes to listening to live music. I grew up in a time when everybody I knew was either in a band, starting a band, or knew someone who was in a band or starting a band. From the age of 16 I went to gigs regularly. I watched rock bands in pubs, Jazz bands in hotel bars and punk bands in dark dingy basements. Today I’ll write about one of the concerts I enjoyed most, which was going to see Nina Simone in London in 1988. I started listening to Nina when I heard one of her songs on a cassette my brother had. The song was “My baby just cares for me” and it was love at first listen. I’d listened to other female Jazz/blues singers before like Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday and Bessie Smith but I’d never heard a voice with the quality of Nina’s. Over time, I started to hear more and more of Nina’s recordings and the more I heard her the more I liked her. Anyway, when the concert dates were announced I went out and bought tickets straight away. I was living in London at the time and I read about the dates in the New Musical Express, a popular music paper which I used to read from cover to cover every week. Nina Simone was a very special artist. I’d had tickets to see her before but the show was cancelled at the last minute because of trouble with Nina’s mental health. She had been trained as a classical pianist but became known as a jazz singer. However, in her concerts she often used to stop mid-song and tell the audience to stop talking or insist that they pay attention. If they didn’t, she would often just get up and leave. When the day of the concert arrived I was really excited. It was held in a theatre in the centre of London and it had the atmosphere of a classical concert. I went with my girlfriend (at the time) and a couple of friends. The support act was Najma Akhtar a British/Indian singer who I really like. She played a wonderful set and got a great reception. When Nina arrived on stage the applause was thunderous. It was just Nina and her piano but the sound she created was amazing. Nina introduced some of the songs with stories about the song; how it was written or why she enjoyed singing it. She was very formal and asked people not to talk while she was playing. She played for a couple of hours and then she was gone. I think the main thing I remember about the concert was the fact that I had experienced something extremely special. Well, it’s not every day you get to see a living legend. Write about a concert, an exhibition or a show you went to. Say: What it was, Where it took place, How you found out about it, Who you went with, Why you enjoyed it. Write at least 300 words. Leave a comment on you teacher’s blog and on the blogs of at least 3 classmates.

10 comments:

  1. I don´t know that much about Nina Simone, but I have heard Ella Fitzgerald and I like her, so I will look for some Nina´s song to listen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like when artists do that; to talk about the story how or why they wrote that song. It gives a new meaning to the songs and makes you to know better your idol

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be rather easy to go see living legends playing live in London, isn't it? You were really lucky; in Chile if you want to experience something like that, you need to forever pray for the artist(s) to come, and then pay a whole load of money for a ticket

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina Simone is great! It was sure an honor having the chance to see her performing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Nina Simone. Feeling Good and Plain Gold Ring are my favourite songs. Did she played any of them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Jazz and blues too, but I prefer the bands, because are most lively.
    But the piano is wonderful and I like that she talk with the audience, it makes the artist closer with the other people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Simon for to show to Nina Simone. She is a good singer and she has style!..

    ReplyDelete
  8. yas her music is really good and she has a really unique style

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just realized that I have a Nina Simone album in my house, it's a compilation, but it's from a collection rather than a official album by her. Nice song and stop motion video.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And where is David Bowie?? I thought he'd be the first singer on your concerts list!

    oh! by the way... good song ;)

    ReplyDelete