Thursday, October 11, 2012

Eating Out










One of the things my wife and I enjoy doing together is eating out. We both work so we tend to treat ourselves to a meal out once a week or once every two weeks. Often if we’re stressed or feeling run down we decide not to bother with cooking (which we both enjoy doing when we have time) and we go out. We love trying new places and eat Peruvian, Indian, Thai, Italian, Chilean (sea-food) and, of course, Japanese.

One of the things I love about Santiago is that it has good, cheap Japanese restaurants. I lived in London for 6 years and the only time I eat Japanese it cost me an arm and a leg. So, when I came to Chile I loved the fact that Japanese food was affordable.

I first went to Izakaya Yoko in 1996. At that time it was located on Merced but now it’s at Monjitas 296 because they knocked down the original building to build a tower block. I found out about the place from my wife’s sister (who I knew before I met my wife). It immediately became my favourite restaurant in Santiago and I must have gone there at least 20 times in my first year in Santiago. I often used to go at lunch time to eat the set menu but I don’t eat it so often nowadays because it often contains meat which I no longer eat (I’m a “pescatarian” – I only eat fish & sea-food, not meat).

I always have miso soup when I go because they serve the best miso soup that I’ve ever had. Another favourite is Atsuaje – Lightly fried tofu with spring onions and ginger (yummy!). The sashimi is really good because it’s finely sliced and the sushi is top quality.

The owner of the restaurant is a Japanese man who is married to a Chilean woman. They have 2 children (one of whom has just moved back to Japan). The restaurant opened in 1991 and my wife has actually been going there for 21 years. Iwouldn’t say it’s my favourite restaurant but it’s definitely top 5.

The last time I went there was last Saturday. I had to work in the centre on Saturday morning and my wife came to meet me and she invited me for a meal. Obviously, I accepted.
Write about a place where you enjoy to eat out.

Say:
Where it is,
How you found out about it,
When you went there for the first time,
How often you go,
What you like to eat there,
When you went for the last time.

Mention anything else you think is important. Write at least 300 words. Leave a comment on your teacher's blog and on the blogs of at least 3 classmates.

11 comments:

  1. Do you like japanese food, teacher? I like gyoza and ramen mostly... are you a sushi kind of person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have visit so many countries, which you would you say has the best food? and the weirdest one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what do you think would be the best place that you would recomend from england to eat? and a signature dish that represents best the culinary culture from there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love sushi, but when I went to London, I tried the delicious fish and fries!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also enjoy to eat japanese food, but I always eat the same thing, rolls or sashimi, maybe one day i will go to Izakaya Yoko to try the miso soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love japanese food too. The only problem is that the most restaurants of japanese food, only serve sushi, and ther are a lot of other delicious dishes to try

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that all the people love the japanese food... In Providencia in "Niu sushi" have rolls with ceviche (for you, only fish)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like sushi a lot, and the place you mention sounds really good. There is a place near this Faculty that is call "Japon", my dad saids is a really good place, it was one of the first japanese food restaurants in santiago. Never been there but plan to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that place, but haven't tried its sushi. If you recomend it I will go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a japanis restaurant very close to FAU in Baron Pierre de Coubertin street...maybe I will go to visit this restaurant because I like yours commentation about the japanis food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't proved many japanese food, only sushi and I like it a lot. I´ll go to know that place you recommend.

    ReplyDelete