Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Piece Of Art

I can’t claim to know much about art but I do know what I like. As a teenager I was a big fan of Salvador Dali mainly because of his amazing imagination. Pop art also appealed to me because it was usually very clever and there are some modern artists who produce excellent material that gets you to think in another way. However, the painting I’m going to write about today is “The Little Tower” by Pieter Bruegel. I’ve never actually seen the original which is in the Museum Boijmans van Beuningen in Rotterdam, Netherlands but it’s a painting I was drawn to since I first saw it on a postcard in the Museum of London in the early 80’s. I still have the postcard (which is now almost 30 years old) on my wall at home. I think I might have been influenced by the similarity with the Tyrell Corporation building in Bladerunner which I saw about the same time. However, I really like the idea of the Tower of Babel and of our forefathers trying to build a tower to reach the heavens (actually, architects are still trying to do the same today, I mean just take a look at the Gran Torre Santiago!!). The colour and the detail are also amazing plus the fact that Bruegel transported the building to his native Belgium. I really wish I could paint like that! Write about 2 pieces of art you like. Say what they are, Who they are by, When you saw them for the first time, Why you like them, Mention anything else you think is important. Write at least 200 words. Leave a comment on your teacher’s blog and on the blogs of 3 classmates.

7 comments:

  1. I´ve seen this painting before, but I didn´t know who had painted it. I like the colours and the deep of the background, it´s beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece of art, love the light on it. It certainly has a Dali sense on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the details of the picture. It is surely a very big painting and its creation took a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what I like the most about this painting is the colors and the light that makes it more dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the true is that I do not know much about art but this picture has colors that doing a contrast very spacial ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the color palette and the paint style, interesting artist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that painting. I'm fascinated about anything related to the Tower of Babel. I understand why you kept that old postcard. I would have done the same!

    ReplyDelete